each group will present on one Thursday between Sept. 8 and Dec. 8
50 points (5% of final grade)
- a 5 to 10 minute presentation of your chosen technology
- Use the questions below as a guide to your presentation material
- Leave a minute or two for a brief Q&A
Although this is a composition course, the nature of the material requires that we feel comfortable with technology, especially technology that has a social, and thus rhetorical, aspect about it. It may be impossible to master all the tools and apps available to us since the mere number of such technologies is so vast and the environment changes so rapidly, but we can still explore the rhetorical affordances (in other words, what it is capable of doing) of some existing tech to feel comfortable in these digital spaces. Mastering one tool/app can give you the confidence and knowledge to discover other tools that may be helpful in reaching audiences. While these are not ends-in-themselves, having some familiarity with the affordances of differing apps can help you disseminate your purpose more effectively, communicate to your audience more efficiently, and allow more adaptation to the constraints of context compared to the limits of alphabetic text.
Your presentation should be an organic discussion and demonstration of your chosen technology briefly covering these points in about 5 to 10 minutes with an additional few minutes of Q&A time:
- What is the technology and where can we find it?
- What is it useful for or why might someone want to use it?
- Does it have any application for our class assignments?
- Think in terms of rhetorical choices here (Purpose, Audience, Context, Appeals, etc.).
- What can the app/program do?
- Give a brief demonstration of some of its affordances.
- Any tips for 1st time users, novices, or experts?
- Are there any similar apps/programs? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each?
After you are assigned your group # and partner, go to this Google Doc and fill in your choice (column E) of tech/apps from the choices below. Please do not double-up with any other group’s tech/app choice!
- Image Editors: GIMP, Photoshop, Adobe Premiere
- Audio Editors: Audacity, GarageBand
- Video Editors: Windows Movie Maker, iMovie, Final Cut
- Image Annotator: ThingLink
- Video Distribution: YouTube, Vimeo, Daily Motion
- Text Annotator: Genius (formerly Rap Genius)
- Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Ello (limit 1!)
- Image Media: Instagram, Seene, Snapchat, Imgur
- Professional Media: LinkedIn
- Social News/Interest: Reddit, Pintrest, Buzzfeed, Digg (limit 1!)
- Blogging: Tumblr, Blogger, WordPress
- Your choice but run it past me!